Getting Married or Divorced? Things You Need To Know

People change their names for any number of reasons. You might be taking your spouse’s surname after getting married, or you might be going back to your maiden name after getting divorced.

If you change your name, you must notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) and get a new Social Security card.

Do this before filing your next tax return with the IRS. Their computers check your name and Social Security number against SSA’s records. If your name doesn’t match exactly, that could cause e-file rejections or delays in processing your tax return.

Reporting your name change to SSA cannot be done online. Instead, you’ll need to fill out Form SS-5 to change information on your Social Security record. You’ll also need documents proving your legal name change, such as a court order, marriage document, or divorce decree. You can either mail in your name change request or visit a local SSA office.

After receiving your new Social Security card, use your new name on your tax returns. Be sure to tell us, too, so we can update our records with your new name.

And let us know if you are moving. By filing Form 8822, Change of Address, we can notify the IRS of your new address so any important letters or notices will reach you without getting lost in the mail.