Q: I need help with bookkeeping and payroll. How much do you charge?

A: Tax & Accounting Solutions takes pride in providing thorough and timely bookkeeping and payroll services. Part of providing quality is determining the scope of work so that you don’t pay for services you don’t need. Please call us for an individualized estimate. We look forward to assisting you.

Q: How much do you charge for a tax return?

A: We have prepared thousands of tax returns of varying degrees of complexity, and we don’t take shortcuts. The work involved in one return can differ wildly from another. That work determines our fee. Call us for an estimate based on your specific circumstances.

Q: I haven’t filed returns for 5 or 10 yrs. How much would you charge to get me up-to-date?

A: Not having filed for that long typically increases complications. Do you have letters from the IRS? Do you have good records from that period? Do you need representation? We are experienced at handling complicated returns. Call us for an individualized quote.

Q: Once I’ve filed my tax return, there is no need to keep the records, right?

A: As diligent recordkeepers ourselves, we want our clients to have the best records possible too. The main reason to save tax records is to substantiate the information reported on the tax return. The statute of limitations for most federal tax returns is three years. This is extended to six years if you understated income by more than 25 percent. There is no time limit if a taxpayer does not file a return or files a fraudulent return in order to evade taxes. Here’s more detail on the subject: Saving Records

Q: How should I send you my documents?

A: At Tax & Accounting Solutions, we take serious measures to protect the security of your sensitive information. When transmitting financial or personal information to us, please use SafeSend.

Please note: For your own security, documents transmitted though SafeSend expire after 30 days. This means that when we send you your return through SafeSend, you must download it within 30 days.

Q: I’m at the bank, and I need copies of my tax return sent to my banker. I left my tax return at home. Can you send a copy over?

A: Guarding clients’ financial information is high on our priority list. For our clients’ own protection, we cannot send copies of tax returns to anyone other than the client without a signed consent form. There is no charge for the original tax return we supply upon completing our engagement. Additional copies are always available for a small fee, which covers the cost of an employee retrieving the return from the archives and printing it.

Q: I’m already a client of yours. Can I just drop off all my documents for my tax return or do I need to make an appointment?

A: Tax & Accounting Solutions wants to keep the process as painless as possible. You can absolutely drop them off — there’s no need to make an appointment.

Q: I received an identity verification letter from the IRS. Is it a scam?

A: We applaud your diligence in guarding your identity. Sometimes the IRS needs to verify a taxpayer’s identity and will do so by sending a Letter 5071C. This occurs when the IRS stops a suspicious tax return that contains a real taxpayer’s name and/or social security number but is flagged for identity theft. Taxpayers who receive requests from the IRS to verify their identity should use the Identity Verification Service website at idverify.irs.gov. This is the fastest and easiest way to complete the task. If you receive Letter 5071C, please contact us so that we can help you answer the series of questions about your identity and tax return history.